Wednesday, May 05, 2021

Champion Bolo Bun Cafe along Tanjong Pagar Road - Really the Best Bolo / Polo Buns in Singapore

S$2.80 for a polo bun?! That sentence came out from my sister's mouth when I told her of this pretty good polo bun from a brand that originated from Hong Kong. Irony is that this was the same sister keen to try a new cafe along Tanjong Pagar Road, that focuses only on polo bun and it's priced minimally SS$4.50 apiece. 

Operational only for a short period of time daily (12.00pm to 3.30pm), except for Mondays; both the line to order and wait were said to be long! But good things should be worth the wait, given the above information. 

I was lucky; no one was queuing to order although there were a quite a number of people waiting for their polo buns both inside and outside the store! After I indicated my order, it's my turn to wait for the pager to beep. 

Many were just lingering around on the first floor but with the safe distancing measures, seats were quite limited and I decided to check out the second floor, even though it was expected to be full.

Way more seating and more inline with the cafe setting, featuring a minimalism look! I was thinking why champion bolo bun is considered a cafe, given what I saw on the ground level and without any knowledge, then, of an upper floor.

There was even a third floor but from the notice on the door, it's only for invited guests. Nevertheless, I had then managed to secure a table with four seats on level two (lady luck hit me a second time) and was happy to stay put. 

After a wait of 25 minutes, I finally got my buns! As I thought I wouldn't be able to secure any table / chairs for a sit-down indulgence within the cafe, I had requested for takeaways. I would have to anyway since I got like 10 boxes of polo buns.

Offering four types of polo buns, I shall review three of them here; the classic, classic with butter and the mini of 4. You would have realized I kept writing polo buns, instead of bolo buns as the former is more commonly used to address the bun.

They looked almost the same from far but look closer and you would realize the mini of 4 was as described whereas the classic with butter would have the "butter" sticker on the plastic cover, and of course, the noticeable slab of butter in between the bun. 

Mini of 4
- shall start with this one; tore one piece off and bit half off. Oh my gosh; this was amazing and I was begging for more even though the remaining three were already in the hands / mouth of my family members.

Classic - proceeding to the next one since everyone's concentration was still with the mini. 

Once I chomped through, it's once again that soft touch of a fluffy bun tied in with an ultra delicious thick, biscuit-like crunch from the top. I don't know about you but when it comes to polo bun, the top crust is my favourite part! 

Classic with Butter - going to the third one. Well, there was an added buttery aroma and flavour although I am more than happy to stick with my classic, that cost 50 cents cheaper. 

Showing you the thickness of the crust, which can be easily separated from the bun; that's bad news for us as Jovyn only attacked the crispy part and left the bun alone! If you ask me, go for the classic for the amplified satisfaction but if you prefer to share, get the mini. 

A very important point to note: do eat the polo bun within 20 minutes! You can exchange it if it's not consumed within 20 minutes, with the original receipt. I am glad I did within minutes upon collection as the polo buns were so good; they were the best I ever had in Singapore. I did bring one home for Alex and taste, texture wise; really not as fantastic as what I had fresh out from the oven. 

=====

Address
92 Tanjong Pagar Road, 
Singapore 088513

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Mini of 4 - S$4.50
Classic - S$4.50
Classic with Butter - S$5.00
(Subject to GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment