Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Bendemeer Fresh Cockles Fried Kway Teow @ 409 AMK Market And Food Centre in Singapore #409AMKHawkerCentre

The above Bendemeer Fresh Cockles Fried Kway Teow stall was supposedly quite famous although I didn't know about its back story (click here for the video) since I only got to know about it after searching for food at 409 AMK Market And Food Centre on Google Maps.

Apparently, this stall had been alright for a long time with a newspaper cutting from 1989, but it's now helmed by a young chap with special needs, who had to take over when his dad had cancer and his mom was a recovering stroke patient.

Sympathy aside, I am more a pragmatic person when it comes to food; the taste has to be agreeable to sustain for the long term. That's how cut throat the F&B business is in Singapore. 

Without further ado, let me introduce to you the plate of char kway teow by the young boy who doesn't look like he is above 30! Special needs or not doesn't matter in my opinion; what I need is a surprise, a positive one. 

Ordered with an extra egg fried in, the texture was mushy, a bit wet but not to the extent of Apollo standard, which was also too garlicky. But do I dislike it? Of course, not! There was that unmistakable wok hei to the flavour that tasted light of fresh cockles, and the sweetness was well-managed without being cloyingly sweet! 

To be honest, it was lip smacking good and I would love to have it again! Only thing, I didn't seem to see any crispy pork lards in my noodle (there were four / five pieces of cockles though). Having that would have elevated the experience! 

=====

Address
409 Ang Mo Kio Ave 10, 
#01-13, 409 AMK Hawker Centre,
Singapore 560409

Map
As above.

Pricing
Char Kway Teow - S$4.50
Add Egg - S$0.80

No comments:

Post a Comment