What follows a heavy vegetarian meal? Desserts for sure and since Jovyn was with us; I decided to go for something she likes. Bingsu or something similar, and I know just the right for it!
i MANGO on basement one of Northpoint City mall, near Haidilao! I am so glad we arrived right on time as the queue to enter lengthened right after our group of five was seated.
Given the limited seating capacity in the eatery, we could only thank our lucky stars! Anyway, even though there's a self ordering kiosk at the entrance, don't bother if you are dining in, as it's more crucial to get a table before ordering, and you could order using the QR code on your assigned table.
The four key messages at i MANGO; fresh, half sugar, healthy and refreshing. Not so sure how desserts can be healthy, especially in a commercial setting although one can always argue they are already healthier if only half the sugar was used compared to its competitors.
There were five of us and I was contemplating ordering two small shaved ice desserts. However, the above giant caught my attention. At a pricey S$30.90, I figured it would be worth it to order this attention seeking dessert, spreading the sins across five persons.
Photograph of the Singapore Mango Ice Mountain with the birthday boy! The wait was about 15 minutes and it was so scary to carry it to my table from the serving counter (self-serviced); the whole tray was wobbling and butterfingers me couldn't stop thinking of the worst case scenario!
"Instructions" on this mini placard, which appeared to be applicable for all shaved ice desserts; a bit of an overkill, not to mention a waste of paper and ink. Nowadays, it's all for the sake of being instagrammable whereas I am really just focusing on taste.
Anyway, a closer look of this colossal dessert.
Different from our local iced desserts like ice kacang, the shaved ice here was more of the Taiwanese style, shaved into layers and using ice blocks that already had milk and ingredients mixed in; in our case, mangos, hence, the yellowish tinge!
Aside from the mango shaved ice, large cubes of mango, drizzles of mango sauce, another prominent feature for this mountain would be the popsicle which I had originally assumed to be the moulded and unshaved mini version of the ice block. Turned out it was a real, frozen mango!
Verdict - it was indeed a less sweet version compared to many others I have had, without feeling jelak towards the end. The mango cubes (said to be from Thai mangoes) were large but not as sweet, with a sourness that some might dislike. Shaved ice didn't disappoint but they melted so fast so don't spend your time shooting millions of photographs! Accompanying mango sauce was more like a puree concentrate; not overly sweet too.
Now, the dessert looked big but do note that it was a plate and not a bowl that the mountain was sitting on; so despite the visuals, the portion wasn't insanely large! Oh, forgot about the frozen mango; not bad tasting but if I want to eat a mango, I prefer fresh ones to protect my ageing teeth.
=====
Address
930 Yishun Avenue 2, #B1-190
SouthWing Northpoint City,
Singapore 768019
Map
As above.
Pricing
Singapore Mango Ice Mountain - S$30.90
Discount for Member - S$2.00
(No Service Charge, no GST)











No comments:
Post a Comment