Friday, September 11, 2026

Plum Blossom Cake (老底子梅花糕) @ Hangzhou in China

I love pop-up markets and happened to chance upon one which was all pinkish with the words "chou chou"; didn't think much about it until I was back in Singapore, only to realize it was the nickname of Jay Chou!  

Whatever the case, I was captivated by the offerings at the above stall, 老底子梅花糕. Now, I am proficient in spoken Chinese and there were numerous times I chanced upon this dessert on social media, Plum Blossom Cake, which looked absolutely delectable! 

Only problem? It seemed to be only available in China! So, when I saw it for sale at this pop-up market; I knew I had to grab the opportunity to buy one since I would leaving for Singapore that very night.

Using a unique metal mould that can churn out 18 plum blossom cakes, each topped with red dates, I only had two wishes; it would taste as good as it looks on social media, and I would get a piping hot one to warm my body! 

The pots of ingredients. I was wondering what those green and red things are and they turned out to be candied melon shreds! Guess the colors were added to up their visual appeal. 

Served warm and cost just 8 RMB, it was crisp on the outside with a dense interior that would have been tasted much nicer if the insides were not cold; a very contrasting feeling as the shell was still warm! 

I can only thank the raisins and the red bean paste inside; both of which enhanced the palatability for my taste buds. While disappointed, I would still give this a go the next time i see it. Hopefully, it would be fresh out of the hot pan then.  

=====

No comments:

Post a Comment