Sunday, August 16, 2026

Mausoleum of Emperor Khai Dinh - The Royal Tomb of the Nguyen Dynasty @ Hue City in Vietnam

The last stop for the day trip to the ancient city of Hue was the Mausoleum of Emperor Khai Dinh; the second last emperor of the last Vietnamese dynasty. 

From outside, it appeared to be an elaborate entrance of a grand house of a very rich person although put in the modern context, the question was who would endure the numerous steps just to enter the "house"! 

Dragons flanking the stairs were symbols of royalty but I couldn't help noticing that their teeth appeared to be filed, which would mean they should be herbivores in dentistry. Okay, I think some of the teeth had chipped.

Claws with moss. As a young kid, my imaginative brain would have conjured images of the dragons coming alive at night, similar to the setting for the Toy Story animation series.

First platform had just two buildings that didn't seem to be of much interest. Second platform was called the salutation court and had statues in the images of officials under both civil and military, with displays of even horses and elephants.

A towering obelisk was placed on each side of the court. I always thought obelisk is more an Egyptian thing. However, this was named as it was on the map which I shall share later on.

Unique "two-tiered octagonal reinforced concrete stele pavilion". Within was a large stone slab that had the "biography of Khải Định written in Classical Chinese". I actually didn't take a closer look as something happened.

I stepped onto a loose floor tile and since it was raining; dirty water splashed onto my feet and lower thighs! Hence, I was busy looking around for a toilet to clean up! 

Totalled five platforms connected by 127 steps, this mausoleum was built on an area of 117 meters x 48.5 meters. So, let's continue to climb, and for me to chase after my tour mates who were ahead of us.

Thien Dinh Palace - final resting place of Emperor Khai Dinh, and the most important building in the entire mausoleum that was built with French influences. 

Information plaque with Vietnamese, English and French explanations. 

Burnt incense sticks; likely from the caretakers of the mausoleum. 

Do's and don'ts for visits to the palace. It was indicated no photography but I am guessing more for professional setup as many visitors would happily shooting away using their phones.

Come, time to explore! 

First room, on the left of the palace, had information on the Nguyen dynasty and also a map showing other notable historical attractions for the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Hue. Honestly, I should have made this a two-night stay! 

Khai Thanh temple with the altar and portrait of Emperor Khai Dinh. Despite the building of this mausoleum, which was completed after six years of his death, Emperor Khai Dinh was said to be disliked by many of his countrymen. 

Painting walls don't captivate me as much as the beautiful inlaid mosaic tiles that made up the entire wall murals, and the whole place was flushed with them; even the altar table and the plaque hung on top. However, nothing prepared me for the scene when I walked to the back. 

A bronze statue of  Emperor Khai Dinh in the middle of an elaborately adorned room that I could help but spewed a few "wow" as I stepped closer for a look. It was unlike anything I have seen before, and being impressed was an understatement! 

This bronze statue, made in the likeness of Emperor Khai Dinh was cast in 1922 by a French sculptor in Paris, and right underneath was the grave of the emperor. 

Right behind was a sun that had rays from the edges. I don't know about you but this to me, almost looked like a set from a movie film, and I absolutely wouldn't expect it to be designed and built more than a hundred years ago! 

From far, you would be forgiven for assuming this ceiling was hung with curtains made from conventional materials. Turned to be made from ornamental ceramic tiles / glass! 

Back was another altar said to place the emperor's tablet for worshiping. Maybe reserved for only the royal family which is no longer in power yet continued to thrive under the House of Nguyễn Phúc.  

Another room that was on the left of the building that included some exhibits and photographs, including antiques that were a few centuries old.

Like the above which was gifted by the French President to Emperor Đồng Khánh, the 9th emperor of the Nguyen dynasty, in 1885 for his coronation. 

Some photographs of Emperor Khai Dinh, when he was alive, his funeral procession, and when the mausoleum was in the midst of construction.

Time to leave! 

On our way down; climbing up means the need to climbing down. I honestly would have loved to spend more time at this mausoleum but I had to remember this was a day trip, and it's about two hours back to Danang City!

Not to mention that it was still drizzling and my primary concern was my mom! She might still look young but her legs were no longer as strong as before, and I am worried she will find it a challenge to walk down the steps, which were wet.

=====

Address
Núi, Châu Chữ, Thủy Xuân, 
Huế 530000, Vietnam

Map
As above.

Attraction Map
As above.

Pricing
Single Attraction Ticket - 150,000 Dong.

No comments:

Post a Comment