I love a challenge, especially when the words glaring at me were traditional wanton mee (古早味云吞面); so much so that I didn't even notice it has a brand Fu Ke Lai (福客来)!
Anyway, wanton mee is, in reality, a weak spot of mine and I couldn't resist checking out the stall when it claimed to be traditional. And in this case, putting it so prominently as your main signage is literally a dare!
At S$4.50 a serving, the portion appeared decent and the plating seemed traditional alright; with the use of the chicken bowl, plus boiled vegetables and professionally sliced char siew; latter of which were too lean for liking but tasted surprisingly good, with a slightly sweetened marination.
What matters most to me in wanton mee would be the noodles, and this bowl here looked promising as the strands of noodle were coated thickly with what seemed to be lard oil. Sadly, they were pretty bland, with a touch of pepper, and I needed the pickled green chilli to enhance the flavor!
Most wantons (dumplings) in wanton mee are commonly not the main star, despite the namesake, and more often than not, pathetically small. Not the ones here though.
There were so much meat in the wantons, unlike many many other stalls! I would assume that the traditional one might refer to the wantons. Pity, they were only okay tasting.
Well, was the wanton mee traditional enough?
Traditional it might be, but taste wise, not for me.
=====
Block 22A Havelock Road, #01-27,
Havelock Road Cooked Food Centre,
Singapore 161022
Map
As above.
Pricing
Wanton Mee - S$4.50
%20@%20Havelock%20Road%20Cooked%20Food%20Centre%20%5BSingapore%5D%20%23havelockroadhawkercentre.jpg)
%20@%20Havelock%20Road%20Cooked%20Food%20Centre%20%5BSingapore%5D%20%23havelockroadhawkercentre.jpg)
%20@%20Havelock%20Road%20Cooked%20Food%20Centre%20%5BSingapore%5D%20%23havelockroadhawkercentre.jpg)
%20@%20Havelock%20Road%20Cooked%20Food%20Centre%20%5BSingapore%5D%20%23havelockroadhawkercentre.jpg)
%20@%20Havelock%20Road%20Cooked%20Food%20Centre%20%5BSingapore%5D%20%23havelockroadhawkercentre.jpg)
%20@%20Havelock%20Road%20Cooked%20Food%20Centre%20%5BSingapore%5D%20%23havelockroadhawkercentre.jpg)
%20@%20Havelock%20Road%20Cooked%20Food%20Centre%20%5BSingapore%5D%20%23havelockroadhawkercentre.jpg)
%20@%20Havelock%20Road%20Cooked%20Food%20Centre%20%5BSingapore%5D%20%23havelockroadhawkercentre.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment