Friday, August 14, 2026

MY Seafood Restaurant (明源大排档) @ Yishun Block 654 [Singapore]

One of the first world problems we faced in Singapore is not knowing what to have for meals given the sheer variety of options we have on this little red dots.

Not including restaurants, there are close to 800 coffee shops that offer economical pricing dishes and for this particular one opposite Safra Yishun; it was my first visit even though I have lived in Yishun for over 30 years! 

With numerous stalls in the coffee shop, our aim was on this tze char outlet with a common name; MY Seafood Restaurant. Not that common once you realize the MY is an acronym for Ming Yuan. 

Pork Liver - starting with this as I am not going to review since I don't eat organs and would don't understand why some people love it; like my mom! Anyway, one person's meat, another person's poison. 

Cereal Prawn - buried under the bed of cereals were unshelled prawns that were pulpy with a bouncy crunch! Loving it although they were served too hot, almost burning my tongue. My fault though, given my impatience! p.s. they served achar with this! Weird combi.

Steamed Baby Sotong -  long accustomed to the deep fried version, the steamed version takes skills to ensure the sotong wasn't under / over cooked. These didn't disappoint even though having the black pea eyes staring at us were a tad disturbing...

Baby Kailan with Sliced Fish - vibrantly fresh and cooked al dente; latter of which would infer a certain level of crunchiness that I enjoyed! Having the sliced fish increased the price and while not bad tasting, I am as happy sticking with just the vegetables and removing the fish. 

Chilli Crab -  now the star of the show, which was made up of two small crabs, with accompanying fried buns, because they are necessary for any order of this iconic Singapore dish.

The gravy was spicy but in my opinion, not as rich and as flavourful as the ones at Ban Leong. In addition, I felt it was overly thickened. Nevertheless, still a good chilli crab and would perform well for any first timer. 

Fried Buns - buns were the standard bite-sized kind that did their job. Nowadays quite hard to find a bun that impressed. At the moment for me, only the ones from forture seafood fall into the category of impressive. Problem was, I had them a long time ago and I am not even sure if standard was as good. 

Steamed Crab - leaving this to the end for two reasons; I seldom have steamed crabs when I am outside and the photographs I took of the meat were all from the steamed and not chilli crabs. The layer of white surrounding the crabs was steamed egg, packing good proteins beneficial to those beyond middle age. 

While I am more accustomed to big crabs over a kilogram each, the meat for the crabs we had so far, was fresh, meaty and satisfying! It was even more pronounced for steamed crabs as you could taste the unfettered natural seafood sweetness! While I don't mind smaller crabs, unshelling them was a pain compared to large crabs. 

=====

Our party of six was definitely more than happy with what we had.

Address
654 Yishun Avenue 4, 
#01-435, Singapore 760654

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Pork Liver - S$18.00
Cereal Prawn - S$22.00
Steamed Baby Sotong - S$16.00
Baby Kailan with Sliced Fish - S$16.00
Chilli Crab - S$58.80 for two
Steamed Crab - S$68.80 for two
Fried Buns - S$4.80 for six

No comments:

Post a Comment