It's rare to find me exploring new food places at Tiong Bahru since I am seldom there; and would likely check out eateries I reviewed before, instead of placing my bet on a new, unreviewed establishment.
But a 4.7 review score on Google Maps, with over 700 reviewers, is not something I take lightly to. Hence, let's order a plate of hokkien mee, from Shiok Hokkien Mee! How shiok would it be?!
After 14 minutes, I finally collected this large of hokkien mee even though I ordered small. Turned out the plate had a shallow base and the chef made use of optical illusion to wow us!
A squeeze of the lime to bring out the flavour! Do you know that hokkien mee is Singapore originated? There are similarly named versions in Malaysia but they are visually different. Personally, I prefer Singapore style the best, followed by the KL style as I prefer dry over soup.
It didn't disappoint with every strand of noodles covered in the unmistakably wok hei essence although my dearest mom would prefer more bee hoon instead of yellow noodles. Within the plate, other ingredients included very fatty pork belly, three prawns, squid and egg. p.s. nice fresh and crispy pork lards!
Now, the chilli paste was too spicy; look at all the chilli seeds! Maybe that's why the name of the stall was shiok since chilli lovers would likely exclaim shiok when their taste buds got hold of the chilli!
=====
A good plate of hokkien mee no doubt. But distance wise, Ah Jie Hokkien Mee at Ang Mo Kio (with its wetter version), and 618 Hokkien Mee at Yishun (with its saucy version), would be a lot nearer for me.
Pricing
Hokkien Mee - S$6.00








No comments:
Post a Comment