Sunday, July 14, 2024

Slow Bakes in Tzu Chi Humanistic Youth Centre @ Yishun Central (Overlooking Yishun Pond)

Despite living in Yishun for a few decades, development is a constant feature and there are often new things that escape my radar. For example, it was only in recent months that I knew of this cafe known as "slow bakes" even though I do jog past it occasionally! 

I have a valid excuse; it only opens from 7am till 2pm and my jogs along that route take place mostly in the evenings or at nights! Overlooking Yishun Pond, and located within the premises of the former Yishun Polyclinic, Slow Bakes was said to be very popular on weekends.

You can also secure freshly baked artisan loaves from the cafe! 

Taking the opportunity of meeting up with the Greatest Kon for Kerabu by Arang, we met slightly earlier to check out Slow Bakes. Outdoor space was more popular given the pond view but we were informed that we could also dine in the air-conditioned space of the related "Real Food Yishun" instead. Obviously, I was delighted! 

Ordering and payment at the counter. Frankly, I thought the menu was messy to the extent of confusing even though there were relatively limited choices. Put it this way, just beverages, toast, buns etc, with additional selections for the glass display and next to the cashier. 

Let's wait for the pager to beep! 

Here's our food for two persons and please be mindful that we would be expecting to have two servings of Nasi Kerabu Lamb Ribs from Kerabu by Arang in less than two hours' time! 

Kopi - my local coffee was acceptable but it tasted more like a cross between local and Western coffee, and was a tad less creamier and thinner in consistency. Nevertheless, it wasn't bad tasting.

Garlic Bun - I had high expectations for garlic bun after having the oily yet epic Best Ever Garlic Bread from Paris Baguette. While aromatic, this was chewier and my preference is for softer, bread.
 
Cinnamon Roll (back of the photo) - looking promising, please note that I will compare it with the ones I baked myself. And sadly, the texture was a firm no from me; too doughy and again, chewy. Mine had a crisp shell with soft insides. 

Avocado Toast - the appeal was definitely the generosity of the avocado spread; so thick! Interestingly, there didn't appear to be much seasoning and it's as raw tasting as I could make it myself with an avocado purchased from the supermarket. 

=====

If you are looking at healthy rather than tasty food, and are too lazy to make it yourself, I guess Slow Bakes would be a great place to start the morning. I am not going to cancel it out as I have a feeling that what it offers would appeal to my mom.

Address
30A Yishun Central 1, 
Singapore 768796

Map
As above.

Pricing
Total - S$15.05

No comments:

Post a Comment