Thursday, July 28, 2022

Guann (元) Signature Minced Pork - Crab Meatballs with Prawn and Fish Maw Soup in Onze @ Tanjong Pagar [Singapore]

My mom prefers a bowl of soup over fried chicken and I decided to bring her to check out a soup place with pretty good Google reviews after her visit to Fook Tet Soo Hakka Temple last weekend. 

There wasn't any noticeable signboard for Guann (元) and that's unusual as most businesses, especially new entrants, know the importance of having prominent signage! Thankfully, Onze @ Tanjong Pagar is compact with just a few commercial entities.

Signature Minced Pork-Crab Meatballs with Prawn and Fish Maw Soup - I am just going to dive into the topic! The pork+crab meatball soup was literally the only dish with variations based on whether you want prawn, seafood, fish maw. For me, the signature option seemed like the obvious choice. 

As I was sharing the soup with my mom, I topped up with a bowl of cabbage rice; grainy with a nice aroma and too oily, this was not bad although I think a scattering of shallots would have enhanced the flavor. Sadly, my mom can whip up a mean serving of cabbage rice and hers was definitely better.

Now on the signature soup; said to be MSG free with ingredients like cabbage, mushroom, tofu and tomato, the broth was light and tasted appetizing. It wasn't rich though and I bet some people might find it a bit bland. 

I loved the ingredients which did a marvelous job in soaking up the broth! They were fresh and I would have gladly paid for more of the crunchy cabbage with mushy insides. Fish maw was the usual but I only took one piece as the rest were quickly cleaned up by mom! 

Aside from the soup, it appeared that the minced pork - crab meatballs were another signature. While they didn't disappoint, I would have thought they were essentially very soft handmade pork balls with negligible taste from the crabs.  

What caught me by surprised was their chill; spurts of sharp spiciness that was sour in the beginning and eventually gave way to a sweet onion aftertaste! The potent spiciness lingered on the tip of my tongue for a while but it was worth it. p.s. perfect condiment for the meatballs! 

Cleaned up! I like the soup but personally, I prefer a flavor that was more intense and rich. And at S$12 a bowl, it could only be an occasional indulgence even though you could get a basic minced pork + crab meatball soup for just S$8.00.

=====

Address 
11 Kee Seng St, #01-05, 
Singapore 089218

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Minced Pork - Crab Meatballs with Prawn and Fish Maw Soup - S$12.00
Cabbage Rice - S$1.50 

No comments:

Post a Comment