Sunday, March 19, 2023

Granny's Thunder Tea @ Bukit Canberra Hawker Centre in Sembawang [Singapore] #bukitcanberrahawkercentre

I am from the Chinese dialect group known as Hokkien but the one dialect dish I super duper love, and would likely give it a try whenever I see in hawker centres, would be Thunder Tea (Lei Cha) which is a Hakka specialty! 

The stall, Granny's Thunder Tea, was staring at me when I revisited Bukit Canberra Hawker Centre with my mom recently. Although I was looking forward for a way more sinful meal, I couldn't resist and decide to have this healthier and nutritional option instead. 

Frankly, the almost exclusively green display would put off a lot of youngsters; even for me, eating vegetables was a chore before I turned 30! 

Eight types of vegetables for this Granny's Thunder Tea; my friend would be happy to note that coriander wasn't one of them! Anyway, plenty of advantages to eating greenies, as this poster explained, in both English and Chinese.


Thunder Tea Rice with Soup - this hearty option at S$4.50 allowed me to have seven toppings plus thunder tea. For a lower calorie meal (354 calories), you can opt for the five-topping thunder tea rice without soup at S$3.30.

Aside from the vegetables, we get a generous serving of peanuts with dried shrimps. Honestly, it might seem like a lot of food but the bowl wasn't that big to begin with; good as a meal for one person. 

Missing them up for a more consistent flavor; loving the combination but the vegetables were diced up too finely. A rough cut / dice would result in roughage and a better texture when the teeth chew through the contents. 

For me, eating with the tea is essential for lei ch; that's why it's called thunder tea! This tasted of mint, basil and peanuts. Sadly, it was mildly flavored, lacking the intensity that would have wowed me. Having said that, I bet the older generation might prefer this blander version.  

I might have my reservations but I am not going to waste a healthy meal. Only difference from other lei cha stalls is that I didn't manage to clean up the bowl of thunder tea this time.

=====

Address
21 Canberra Link, #01-55,
Bukit Canberra Hawker Centre,
Singapore 752350

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Thunder Tea Rice with Soup - S$4.50  

No comments:

Post a Comment