Sunday, March 19, 2023

The Food We Had at Ho Thi Ky Food Street in Ho Chi Minh City [Vietnam]

I thought it would be better to have a separate post on the food we had at Ho Thi Ky Food Street in Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) as there were just too many photographs! 

The street was popular with locals and to assimilate to the local culture, we had to source for an empty table among the many along the street and sit on low chairs. Frankly, it may look as if it would be uncomfortable but given that I am quite short (even among Asians), it was okay.  

Drinks from Chu Tun - actually I can't remember which ones we ordered but since these were the first items we had at the food street, I remember both drinks were thirst quenching! Price? Less than one Singapore dollar for each cup.

Moo Ping Lookalike - I am a huge fan of this pork skewer that originated from Thailand and there's a cheese option, which cost 15,000 dong (about S$0.85).

My friend got rice (extra 10,000 dong) as well since this was technically dinnertime. Taste wise, it wasn't as juicy as its original Thailand version and not as palatable. Furthermore, the size appeared slightly smaller.

Bánh Tráng Nướng - this was something I had wanted to try; technically known as grilled rice paper, I would label this as the Vietnamese style pizza! 

There's also this quail egg skewer from the same stall. 
Let's order since it's starch free, and I am an egg lover.

I had no idea what I ordered as I just pointed to what I wanted since the menu was in Vietnamese, which was normally the case for most food stalls in HCMC

Pizza cost 30,000 dong and more like a savory form of crispy popiah we can get in Singapore. Quail egg was 15,000 dong; nutritional it sure was but didn't taste beyond what a grilled egg will taste like, without any salt and sugar.  

Meatballs - bursting with juiciness, this was much better than the Tori Q meatballs that many Singaporeans like. Price: 20,000 dong each; very worth it! 

Caramel Flan - this stall was right beside our table and my companions noticed a continuous stream of customers. Of course we had to order. That's the beauty of travelling with more than just Alex, and it helps that the Great Kon was a food connoisseur, and extremely game in trying new food. 

I didn't note down how much it cost! This had coffee added and strangely, it was a perfect addition and appeared to intensify the taste of caramel in the pudding. 

Kem Bo - which means Avocado Ice Cream! We got the one with durian at 33,000 dong (less than S$2.00) and it was like four mini scoops of coconut ice cream on top of blended avocado juice! 

Creamilicious although a tad too sweet for my liking; I did enjoy the shreds of coconut meat and peanuts on top! As a whole, it felt healthy yet absolutely sinful.

Soup with Pig Brain - this is a dish I would obviously not order if I am on my own but the Great Kon was keen to check it out, and as per his generosity; he was more than happy that I took a scoop just to try.

Frankly, this pot of soup seemed more like shark's fin or fish maw soup, which had a thicker consistency. That's good because I like such soup, even though they contained starch. 

Soup was nicely flavored, tasted similar to shark's fin soup! I took a bite of the brain too; it was soft like beancurd, not much of a taste, although the Chinese believes that eating pig's brain is good for our own brain! 

Click here for more photographs of Ho Thi Ky!

=====

Address
107 a Đ. Hồ Thị Kỷ, Phường 1, Quận 10, 
Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh, Vietnam

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
From 5pm till 10pm


No comments:

Post a Comment