Thursday, October 19, 2023

Sin Hiap Hin - An Old School Bar That Closes At Night @ Melaka in Malaysia

While researching for my Melaka trip, I chanced upon an interesting bar that's unlike any of the bars I had been to! I dropped by at about 5.00 pm to find Sin Hiap Hin closing for the day. Who closes a bar when the sun is about to set!? 

I returned the following day, when the UV rays were said to be the highest for the day! Frankly, I didn't expect to see such setting in a bar; not it doesn't even belong to this era. No air-conditioning, mismatched tables and chairs and wall tiles that looked more fitting in a toilet.

However, you can't deny its old school charm, added by a nice, affable lady who could have been mistaken as an endearing grandmother, but was actually the de facto bartender for the shop.

Captivated by the displays of alcohols; many of which I have never seen before, with Chinese labels. Don't you find it cute that on one of the shelves (zoom in please) was a clock in the shape and design of a chicken!? That's so out of place!

Craving for a cocktail, I was exasperated to note that they don't serve cocktails! I can choose from wine, spirits, beer instead. I asked for recommendations and I was given the three bottles as above; Chinese liquor infused with flowers / fruits! 

A Melakan origin since 1908, I did notice that this rose wine, with an alcohol content of 38%, was "ideal for cooking healthy and delicious meals". Well, the trust in the experienced bartender was high enough for me to decide to give it a go!

Let the expert dish out the beverage. Under a hot, sunny day, I was wondering how I am going to endure the burning sensation from the throat down to the tummy! But auntie very kind; she passed me some 'rocks', as in ice. 

At RM 26, not exactly cheap for the kind of setting, and I think I am not proficient enough to discern the taste between most hard liquor. Despite the high alcohol content, I was surprised that I didn't turn red, and could still maintain a steady gait.

Nevertheless, still a unique experience I would recommend to travellers on a visit to Melaka. It's okay if you are bringing kids as I brought my 12 year-old niece along. p.s. Of course there's no alcohol for her! 

=====

Address
5, Kampung Jawa, 
75200 Melaka, Malaysia

Map
As above.

No comments:

Post a Comment