Monday, October 23, 2023

Chendol at Peranakan Place along Jonker Street in Melaka [Malaysia]

I am very focused here; although Peranakan Place serves authentic nyonya cuisine, we already had a heavy breakfast and the only thing beckoning to me would be chendol! 

This eatery came recommended from a friend of my elder sister and even without having taken a morsel of the food and drink; I was already impressed by the heritage interior design that wasn't too over and infused with modern elements, like the wall mural.

A section was even carved out to showcase a typical living hall of a Peranakan family. The only thing lacking was a costume rental company onsite for you to don nyonya / baba attire for that perfect shot. 

Photograph of my mom! We kept telling her to get a nyonya attire as I think it would look good on her. But her stingy soul cannot get away from the fact that it can cost more than a hundred dollars. And she has the impression that nyonya attire is for thin ladies. 

Iced Lemongrass - whatever the case, I need a glass of iced beverage to quench my thirst in the hot Melaka weather! The taste of this lemongrass was different; stronger, with a tinge of sourness from a citrus fruit like lime. p.s. not sweet.

Baba Chendol - at a price of RM 6.90 (almost S$2.00), it was a small bowl that had a thick base and a wide opening. Using red kidney beans, which are more satisfying, I noticed that the chendol (the green stuff) was also much thicker than the norm.

To be frank, it was more coconut milk than the gula melaka that made up the overall taste. I would have prefer more gula melaka given we were in its place of origin! Nevertheless, I do enjoy the green stuff which had an appetizing saltiness complementing its alkaline flavor, and the crunchy beans. 

Finished in no time! Sadly, I only managed to stomach only one bowl of chendol in my entire 3 days, 2 nights trip. My record in the past was five or six bowls, from different eateries, in one day! 

=====

Address
Jonker Street, 54, Jalan Hang Jebat, 
75200 Melaka, Malaysia

Map
As above

Pricing
Iced Lemongrass - RM 8.90
Baba Chendol - RM 6.90
(Subject to Service Charge and Tax)

No comments:

Post a Comment