Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Dim Sum Haus Sg @ Jalan Besar in Singapore

The intention was to visit Sum Dim Sum at Jalan Besar for an early birthday dinner but it was still closed for break. Hence, this gave me an opportunity to check out the nearby Dim Sum Haus! 

I am no stranger to this dim sum joint as I did notice queues on quite a few occasions but there were just so many eateries in that area; including Berseh hawker centre, ReplyK1988 Korean BBQ, and I only had one stomach. :(

As it was a Monday and the timing was 4.20 pm, I was actually quite alright with the lack of diners. Personally, I don't enjoy queuing and very much prefer visiting during lull periods. Thankfully, my immediate family members love early lunch / dinner. 

Photographs of famous personalities visiting the store. 
The likes of celebrities and food bloggers.

Ordering via the QR code; one thing to note, some items on the physical menu were not on the app! Hence, do clarify further. I had assumed their baked salted egg custard buns were out of stock and didn't manage to order.

Our long list of dim sum items! 
Mind you, just two of us.

Various condiments to go with your dim sum. The one deemed super important for me would be the chilli sauce, which I would go with basic dim sum like har gow, siew mai etc.

Pu Erh Tea - tea (refillable) to wash down all the deep fried, oily stuff! For someone who loves iced cold drinks when young, it's amazing how age has changed us! For better or for worse.

Fried Carrot Cake with XO Sauce - taste wise, actually not too bad although I would prefer smaller pieces with crispier bites. A lot of eggs and beansprouts which I absolutely didn't mind! 

Fried Fresh Bean Curd Skin - piping hot with luxurious filling that was chockablock full of juicy prawns! Remember to dip it into the saucer of mayonnaise; my preferred way was to have it with a bit of chilli. Yummy! 

Har Gow - generally disappointed with prawn dumplings yet can't resist ordering them, I must admit this was above average with skin that wasn't overly dry and filled with nice, crunchy prawns.

Truffle Siew Mai
- personally, I prefer siew mai over har gow and given that I quite enjoy truffle in general; I guess this would be worth a try.

Again, juicy inside that had a nice flavor of truffle.
 Truffle was faint but not weak to the extent you can just a passing aroma.

Siew Mai - your normal siew mai which exceeded my expectations for being quite large! In addition, I totally love the unmistakable earthy taste from the pieces of mushrooms hidden in the filling.

Steamed Crispy Rice Roll with Shrimp - said to be one of their signature dim sum dishes, I had to give it a go even though I would usually order the shrimp rice roll with the crispy component.

I had assumed the crispy thing inside was youtiao but it was more like those crispy layer of tempura prawns. In my honest opinion, this was way more delicious than those rice roll with youtiao! And also less sinful. 

Japanese Dumplings - this had the outlook of the typical red oil dumplings! While the dumplings were generously packed with meat filling, the key highlight was the sauce! Unlike the red-oil version, this was sweeter, not as spicy and less vinegarish! 

Guo Tie - it seemed we were having a lot of dumplings! The shell was crispy and that's a tick. Taste wise, it had a porky aftertaste that required the use of the ginger to mask it.

Steamed Chicken Feet with Bean Sauce - birthday boy requested for this and his verdict was that it was flavorful and soft, with ease of removal of skin from bones. Frankly, I cannot imagine why people would like to eat chicken feet! My friend also can't imagine why I like cheng tng / durians so much. To each his / her own. 

Black Sesame Lava Buns - I would have with golden lava buns but there wasn't such option on the app. Therefore, I opted for this alternative which was less sinful; not as sweet with a bitterness that made me feel like I am having something healthy! 

Nevertheless, black sesame is said to be good for hair and even if I didn't really like it; I had to finish it, for the sake of my greying hair! 

=====

Before and After - fascinating that we managed to cleaned everything up! Although the atmosphere and environment weren't as nice and comfortable as Sum Dim Sum, the dim sum here were actually pretty good. Would be back again; hopefully with my parents to try other signature dim sum at Dim Sum Haus Sg 

Address
57 Jalan Besar, 
Singapore 208809

Map
As above. 

Website
https://order.dimsumhaus.com.sg/

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Pu Erh Tea - S$1.90 per person
Fried Carrot Cake with XO Sauce - S$8.60
Fried Fresh Bean Curd Skin - S$5.30 
Har Gow - S$5.70
Truffle Siew Mai - S$6.90
Siew Mai - $5.40
Steamed Crispy Rice Roll with Shrimp - S$5.80
Japanese Dumplings - S$6.10
Steamed Chicken Feet with Bean Sauce - S$4.80
Black Sesame Lava Buns - S$5.80
(Subject to Service Charge and GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment