Saturday, October 21, 2023

Bunga Raya Popiah with Crispy Pork Lard @ Melaka in Malaysia

When my elder sister told me about this popiah with crispy pork lard in Melaka, I thought she was referring to Poh Piah Lwee. I realized my assumption was wrong when my brother in law dropped us opposite this street stall. 

While the rest of the area seemed quiet, this stall had a line of people waiting for popiah, a snack common in Singapore although not as commonly seen elsewhere, except in Melaka where a search on Google Map revealed about seven competitors within a kilometer range!

Highlight for Melaka style popiah was their general use of crispy pork lard as one of the ingredients! I heard from a friend that Singapore used to have this variant too but it might have been replaced given the need for "healthier" lifestyle. Hello, it's not as if we have popiah every day! 

Wrapped in a burger wrap, this was quite a sizeable portion although at RM 6.00 each, I would have expected nothing less. Since we prefer to eat on the spot, we found a shaded area and unwrapped the "present".

Uncut in its full glory, I am so glad I have a big mouth which would have made eating this chunky wrap a breeze with minimal mess. Unlike most popiah I had, this had a unique texture that was thicker and felt more like those dough skin used for nyonya kueh.

Inside was generously filled with stripes of turnips that had a darker shade and a sweeter taste, and eggs! The elation peaked when I was halfway through, with the sinful crunchy bites of juicy, oily pork lard. Blissfully satisfying, despite the hot, humid temperature! 

Of course I cleaned it up! While I do enjoy the popiah, I admit it was a tad sweet, and given the size, I wouldn't be surprised customers might treat it like a meal! My elder sister commented that the stall was much more generous with the crispy pork lard in the past and at RM 6.00 now, inflation had indeed hit hard. 
 
======

Address
124, Jln. Bunga Raya, Kampung Jawa, 
75200 Melaka, Malaysia

Map
As above. 

Operating Hours
12.00 pm to 7.00 pm

Pricing
Popiah - RM 6.00 each 

No comments:

Post a Comment