Saturday, October 12, 2024

Chula 50 Kitchen near Samyan MRT Station in Bangkok [Thailand]

I stayed a few nights at Triple Y Hotel before the dreadful pandemic hit us in 2020 but I was scratching my head when a friend mentioned of this popular chula 50 kitchen that was super near the hotel. How come I didn't know about this, especially when it was famous for its crab-centric dishes!?

Whatever the case, we decided to check it out and was shocked to see the crowd right in front, spilling to the road. This, to me, represented a messy queue system, which almost forced me to seek alternatives. 

Turned out you just needed to seek an order sheet, write your order, the number of persons, pass it to the staff member, and wait for your name to be called. Simple enough although you have to be ready to wait; for us, it was a pretty excruciating 30 minutes of milling around, standing on our two feet. 

Chrysanthemum Tea - nothing beats a sweet, thirst-quenching cup of chrysanthemum tea after 30 minutes of wait! In Singapore's context, this was ultra shiok.

Rice with Creamy Omelette and Crab - if not for the fact this was in front of me, I wouldn't have believed this cost me less than S$3.00! And it's not like they were stingy with deshelled crab meat.

Omelette was soft and water with a touch of light soy sauce that made it simple yet comfortably delicious and the crab meat was plump, flavorful! Eating them with rice was so blissful for the hidden carbohydrate monster in me. 

Crab Fried Rice - rice was imbued with the flavors of wok hei but the crab meat actually didn't make much of an impact, aside from being decorative. If you have just one stomach, just go for the rice with creamy omelette and crab. 

Mantis Shrimp with Salt and Pepper - I love the mantis shrimps from Here Hai, and when I saw someone had the above on their table, I added to my order too! Oh well, it's just meat and I bet it wouldn't be as heavy as rice / noodle. 

Sadly, the meat was mushy and the chef really had to thank for tons of fried garlic and shallots that improve the overall palatability. Comparable to Here Hai? Obviously not. 

=====

What's the likelihood I would be back? Maybe for the Rice with Creamy Omelette and Crab, and I will be keen to try their dim sum desserts. 

Address
262 ซ. จุฬาลงกรณ์ 50 Wang Mai, 
Pathum Wan, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
(Near Samyan MRT Station)

Map
As above. 

Menu
As above. 

Pricing
Chrysanthemum Tea - 25 Baht 
Crab Fried Rice - 70 Baht
Rice with Creamy Omelette and Crab - 70 Baht
Mantis Shrimp with Salt and Pepper - 280 Baht
(NETT)

No comments:

Post a Comment