Monday, September 23, 2024

Dough @ CHIJMES along Victoria Street near Bugis in Singapore

Frankly, I have to thank my friends for always recommending good restaurants / cafe in Singapore for our meetups, which enabled me to share with the rest of you in this blog! Today: the recommendation was Dough @ CHIJMES.

With this particular group of friends, we would take half day leave on a weekday to beat crowds and we had the choice of either indoor or outdoor seating. As Singaporeans on a hot day, air-conditioning is much preferred.

Why was there a Samsung booth in the cafe!? There's such a waste of retail space! Anyway, as the name suggests, Dough is a bakery although it does offer main dishes for diners. 

Our main focus was on lunch; so items from the bakery shall take a backseat until our stomachs were happily placated with food. 

Provision of water for free! I am glad to see that more and more eateries are going for complimentary water for customers although it's still very much restricted to cafes and Korean restaurants. Whatever the case, here's what we had that day! 

Signature Earl Grey Ice Latte - I never imagined I would have such great compliments for latte! While bearing the signature aromatic infusion of earl grey, this milky beverage had a floral fragrance and stood apart with the saltiness from the cheese foam! 

Mentaiko Tater Tots - for someone who doesn't enjoy potato products, I couldn't even believe I could be so obsessed with tater tots, which are like bite-sized harsh brown! 

The mentaiko variant was an enhanced version with the flavors of the sea meeting my taste buds and the stringy cheese that was even more addictive than plain old tater tots. 

Rosti with Gravlax Salmon - rosti, being potato in its original form, was hardly my go-to main although I had my eyes on the smooth, McDonald's like scrambled egg on the side. 

Texture of the rosti was crisp yet not very seasoned; guess that's where the sour cream comes in. I love the salad that came with a sweet fruity sauce and the scrambled egg would likely get a thumbs-up from Alex. 

Chicken Thigh - tough meat and a tad burnt. The taste reminded me of Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken Chop from Orange & Teal Café, except that dough's version wasn't as good. 

Baked Egg - how did this small dish manage to cost S$22!? It's more like a stew and tasted similar to minestrone soup. Aside from egg, the mix comprised of potatoes, cheese, bacon and corn.

Now coming to our desserts! 

Hotteoking My Heart - bearing the name of hotteok, a popular Korean pancake, the only resemblances this had with hotteok were the addition of sunflower and melon seeds! The pipette contained sweetening syrup to improve the flavor that would otherwise be just plain bread. 

Kaffir Lime Guava Strawberry - pastry was nice but the sauce in the middle was too sour for my liking. Life is sour enough and desserts should always be sweet! 

Cinnamon Raisin - given I am quite proficient in baking cinnamon rolls, there's one simple reason why I decided to opt for this; its interesting shape! 

What should I do to get this kind of shape which seemed to get better cinnamon-sugar-butter mix?! Okay, I got my answer on youtube; it's called braided and I guess I shall try making that soon.

Honestly, this was good; not overly sweet and the only thing that required improvement was the seemingly weak cinnamon flavor. Now I am craving for cinnamon rolls! 

=====

Address
30 Victoria St, #01-30, 
CHIJMES, Singapore 187996

Map
As above. 

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Signature Earl Grey Ice Latte - S$9.00
Mentaiko Tater Tots - S$13.00
Rosti with Gravlax Salmon - S$26.00
Chicken Thigh - S$22.00
Baked Egg - S$22.00
Hotteoking My Heart - S$6.50
Kaffir Lime Guava Strawberry - S$5.50
Cinnamon Raisin - S$4.00
(Subject to Service Charge and GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment