Sunday, September 08, 2024

Nasi Lemak Hantu @ Johor Bahru [Malaysia]

The 15th day of the 7th lunar month, otherwise known as the 'peak' of the hungry ghost month, and here I was, standing in front of an eatery called Hantu (ghost) at almost 10.00 pm! p.s. It didn't help that the shop next door was also burning offerings for the 7th month. 

Located a stone's throw from Atelier Hotel and only opened for business between 5.00 pm and 1.00 am, it's amazing that there were still so many customers! We were just plain lucky that our wait for a table was just 10 minutes! 

Only order when you secure your table, unless your intention was for takeaway. There's a number on your table and do note to write it down on the order sheet, together with the dishes and drinks you want. 

Milo Ice Dinosaur - it's actually been a while since I last had milo but not for Alex, who counted milo as one of his favorite beverage! I took a sip and found it overly milky for my liking.

Nasi Lemak Ayam Goreng - our basic nasi lemak with rice, peanuts, cucumber, fried egg, fried chicken and a violent splatter of chilli! Why did I mention violent?

The chilli appeared too bloody although it didn't spoil my appetite. It was the sweet spicy kind I prefer and if you prefer a spicier kick, you may consider the option for chilli-api! 

Rice had that addictive coconuttiness that i found irresistible but strangely, some mouthfuls tasted a bit salty. Chicken wise, it was my least favorite part, the breast, known for its usually dry leanness. Having said that, the much craved juiciness was retained and the meat pulsated with the marination of berempah that had aromatic spikes of lemongrass. 

Maggie Goreng Ayam - I must have been crazy to go for maggie mee so late at night! 

Fried chicken was marinated the same as the nasi lemak even though I did find it a bit disappointing that there wasn't any chilli to go with it! No complaint about the maggie mee, which was nice as expected. I did feel pangs of guilts as I slurped the noodles down the throat.

=====

Would love to return, but at a much earlier timing! p.s. this would be the best nasi lemak I had in Johor Bahru; simple without much fanfare yet good! 

Address
141, Jalan Sri Pelangi, Taman Pelangi, 
80400 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia

Map
As above. 

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Milo Ice Dinosaur - RM 4.50
Nasi Lemak Ayam Goreng - RM 9.80
Maggie Goreng Ayam - RM 7.00

No comments:

Post a Comment