Thursday, June 22, 2023

Pizzakaya - Japanese Pizzeria x Cafe @ VivoCity [Singapore]

I have a love-hate relationship with pizzas; absolutely relishing in them every single time while lamenting and feeling all guilty about the massive calorie gain right after the meal! 

Yet, when Jovyn chose Pizzakaya - Japanese Pizzeria x Cafe (over burgers for that matter) for her birthday lunch, I couldn't reject her. Nevertheless, I have always been curious about Pizzakaya ever since I chanced upon it at Jem

This Halal certified eatery had this bright, sanitized, spacious modern concept that looked so inviting! At a timing of almost past the lunch hour (at about 1.30 pm), it's assuring to see so many diners in the restaurant. 

View of Resort World Sentosa! Alfresco seating was available for those crazy enough to sit outside in such hot and humid weather; way more suitable for night time, especially if you are blessed with a light sea breeze.  

p.s. the visuals of this pair of brick pizza ovens gave the assumption that the owner was serious about its pizzas! And you know what Pizzakaya is supposedly famous for? Their hand-stretched Japanese-style pizzas! Not that I am aware of the differences though. 

Whatever the case, we were keen with the above promotion; S$45.80 (subject to service charge and taxes) premium set with one starter, two mains and one tower dispenser! This shall be sufficient for a growing teenager and a middle-aged man who can eat but need to cut down on starch. 

I was already fixed on what to order, and with a growling tummy exacerbated by the water activity we had at Sentosa earlier, I was impatient! But wait, I am not allowed to order from the service staff.

This QR code was essential for ordering! After ordering, it was an arduous wait for the food; which wasn't true as I did check the timing on my photos and the first thing that arrived came in less than 10 minutes after I confirmed the order on my phone.

Tower Dispenser - yes, drink is not food but it would help to quench some thirst, and sugar from the iced lemon tea did somewhat placate the tummy monster. 

Anyway, this was a 1.5-liter tower and it was utterly shiok for the eyes! The lemon tea was pretty good and reminded me of iced lemon tea from KFC a long time ago, when I, as a service staff, would brew the tea with loads of teabags and add in tons of white sugar! 

Starter - there were options for calamari and truffle fries; I would have gone with the former but the birthday girl is a fries-queen! Freshly fried and piping hot, the fries were thick-cut with a nice crisp! We caught whiffs of truffle; however, they were hardly on par with the ones from PS.Cafe.

Main
- our first main shall be teriyaki chicken baked rice. Selection for the premium set included two pizzas, two pastas and two baked rice. I would have opted for pastas as I have never been a fan of baked rice.

Jovyn, once again, made the decision, and I am happy to go along with it (well, birthday girl). It was cheesy alright although I took more issue with the dried, thinly sliced teriyaki chicken. Rice was surprisingly okay but with me on a starch-restricted diet, I would have opted for nasi briyani instead of baked rice anytime. 

Main - second main has to be a pizza since Pizzakaya is a pizzeria! So, two options under pizza for the premium set; either teriyaki chicken pizza or takoyaki pizza. I love variety and since we already had teriyaki baked rice and takoyaki pizza seemed interesting; let's proceed with the latter.

The dried bonito flakes were kept in a separate bowl so that you can add the amount you enjoy. p.s. just in case you didn't know, bonito is actually a fish and in Japanese cuisine, bonito is the main ingredient for dashi. 

I half suspected the takoyakis would be cold and hard and thank god they appeared to be hot and fresh from the griddle, with soft, gooey insides that contained pieces of octopus! Unfortunately, Jovyn was under the impression those balls on the pizza were meatballs! Boy was she disappointed. 

Personally, I think it's better to separate takoyaki from pizza given the difficulties in eating them TOGETHER. I am also more a fan for thin crust pizza and hand stretched pizzas are known for being fluffier and thicker, like bread. 

Needless to say, I left the thick crusts aside.  

======

Despite my reservations about the hand stretched pizzas, I was attracted by the unique versions Pizzakaya has; like quattro cheese, beef bulgogi, milky bangkok etc. And there was this ondeh ondeh pizza for dessert! Pricing, in my opinion, was also pretty reasonable. Definitely a place to consider if I am meeting my Muslim friends! 

Address
1 HarbourFront Walk, 
#01-157, VivoCity
Singapore 098585

Map
As above.

Ala-Carte Menu

As above.

Pricing
Premium Set - S$45.80
(Subject to Service Charge and GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment