Sunday, July 24, 2022

Buffet Breakfast @ Grande Centre Point Hotel Ratchadamri in Bangkok [Thailand]

In normal circumstances, you don't see me opting for  hotel breakfast when I book accommodations for overseas trips, unless they come free without topping up. It was the same stand adopted for my stay at Grande Centre Point Hotel Ratchadamri in my recent trip to Bangkok.

However, the continuous bombardment of TV publicity in the hotel lifts, that the buffet breakfast cost just 350 baht (about S$14.00) per person, and the traffic situation based on timing, eventually swayed my position on checkout day. 

Here we were; outside Horizon Room on the mezzanine floor of the hotel. As our plane was scheduled for departure at 12.15pm, we figured it might be too rushed for us to grab breakfast, especially if we didn't manage to wake up earlier. Hence, breakfast in the hotel made better sense. 

Interior of the premises; we followed the advice of the "traffic" situation and reached at about 7.00 am, said to be the "low" traffic for the restaurant, with ample tables for us to choose from. As it isn't located on high floors, there wasn't much of an outside view although I still prefer window seating.

Beverages to start the day; from drinking water, infused water, juices, green tea latte to americano, espresso, hot chocolate and tea. A varied selection. 

Numerous cereals with a selection of nuts and options for low fat fresh milk. This breakfast section was least patronized by me as I have never been much of a cereal person, except for coco pops with fresh Japanese milk from the Meiji brand. 

I don't mind porridge so long they have appetizing condiments for me to mix in! The choices here did appeal to me but it would be even better should there be fried onions, fried garlic etc. 

OMG; moo ping too?! As some of you are aware, Alex and I love the grilled pork skewers from Thailand and in this trip, we had it almost daily! So glad to see it being available for our last day in Bangkok

You can choose to have the moo ping with sticky rice. If I recall correctly, some people would have a few sticks of moo ping, with rice and that should be a meal for the day. 

Japanese food too; with Japanese pork cutlet, Japanese rice, miso soup!  

There were also tamagoyaki, seaweed, wakame, kimchi, soft tofu etc, if you need to spruce up your Japanese meal. I am surprised there was no natto as it is a basic Japanese breakfast fare although foreigners usually can't accept its taste and texture.

A typical Northern Chinese breakfast; the only thing I could consider would be the Chinese doughnut, known as youtiao. I can't imagine soy milk with sago, boiled millet, red beans etc even though I shouldn't say too much if I don't even attempt. Maybe it would blow my minuscule brain away. 

Southern Chinese breakfast - dimsum which comprised of ginkgo and yam bun, char siew bun, siew mai  (pork dumplings) and har gow (prawn dumplings)! Had to try despite the preconceptions that they would not likely impress. 

Looking for something more substantial? Go for the stir fried noodle with sweet and sour fish and bak choy! Again, not something I would try unless I faced the same kind of dishes everyday and needed something new to refresh my palates. 

Westernized breakfast with baked beans, oatmeal, bacons (normal and crispy), chicken sausages, grilled mixed vegetables (squash, capsicums, mushrooms), potatoes and frittata (like quiche). 

The very important egg station! 

You can indicate your preferences here before passing it over to the staff in charge. It's so nice to have the pictures; given our different accents, this would definitely help reduce any misunderstanding. p.s. to me, over medium is generally known as fried egg in my country. 

Hard boiled and soft boiled eggs! Now that I am older, I realized hard boiled eggs fill up my tummy very fast. In the past, I can easily have five hard boiled eggs at one go; now, just two or three would make me stop all food intake. 

When we talk about western breakfast, how could we do without bread!? Aside from sweet bread like banana cake loaf and chocolate marble cake loaf, you have others like your usual white bread, whole wheat bread, Fresh bread and English bread.

Butter was separately served on a small glass bowl and jam offerings were interesting; in addition to marmalade, strawberry and blueberry jam, there were peanut butter, nutella, and even ovomaltine crunchy cream! Known as ovaltine in Singapore, it's not commonly seen as a spread for bread. 

Mayble syrup? I figured this would be maple syrup as Singapore pronunciation did sound more like mayble too! It's funny to see such literal translation but Thailand is not an English speaking country and hence, such mistakes are forgivable.

Pastry corner! There were egg tarts, cinnamon rolls, muffins, pizzas, danish rolls, waffles, croissants. I am happy to see the variety as it can be quite boring when it's filled with muffins with just different type of toppings / fillings. 

Mediterranean breakfast - with cheese, ham, salami, yogurt, pickled onion, black olives etc. Don't play play, the ingredients were said to have played an important part for longevity and good quality of life even when you are old! 

The four types of cheese; brie, mozarella, cheddar and edam.

Salad options were limited though; well, I wouldn't eat salad in a buffet unless there are slightly unhealthier versions like egg mayo etc. I do like my fruits though and it's always nice to see fruits other than your typical watermelon and pineapple! 

There were two sections for fruits and you can find dragon fruits, guava, papaya, bananas and even rambutans! For me, loading the tummy with fruits is a necessity to conclude the meal.

Almost forgot; there's chicken rice. I am a chicken rice snob as I think Singapore has the best chicken rice; so much so that a Malaysian friend, who is picky and generally dislike Singapore food, said that one dish in Singapore that's absolutely better would be chicken rice.

Whatever the case; here's what I had. Nothing that particularly stood out; the moo ping could have been better if they were sizzling hot and crisp.  Interestingly, it's my comfort food that I enjoyed; simple toast with strawberry jam and better. Nevertheless, I shouldn't be complaining given that it was S$14 for the wide variety! 

Ending the meal with more fruits! 
p.s. they were all sweet and nice.

=====

No comments:

Post a Comment