Tuesday, July 05, 2022

Dian Lao Er Danggui HK Roasted Delights - Roast Duck and Char Siew @ Yishun Block 732 TST Coffee Shop [Singapore]

Dian Xiao Er is a popular chain restaurant in Singapore that specializes in herbal roast duck and imagine what was running through my head when I noticed a pretty new stall in a coffee shop near where I stay.

Instead of Dian Xiao Er, which means waiter in the ancient China, this particular stall calls itself Dian Lao Er. The thought in my head was; "what a copycat"! But it generated curiosity and I decided to give it a try and assess if this would be worth my calories. 

S$4.80 - combination of both roast duck and char siew as the former was said to be their "famous charcoal grill herbal" whereas the latter was touted as being unique on the signboard. Since I was alone, this would be sufficient, I guess.

Roast Duck - I love thick cuts as they provide so much satisfaction to the bite! It retained juiciness despite being meaty and while the sauce was savory; the conclusion was that it simply wasn't herbal enough. Dian Xiao Er is still better; and priced much higher too. 

Char Siew - I dislike char siew made of lean meat and these were visual disappointments. Thankfully, it wasn't bland and my taste buds can still pick up those nicely, grilled smoky flavor. Like the roast duck, the char siew was chopped up thickly and they would have been perfect if the meat was fattier with more charred bits. 

Leaving more than half the rice untouched; I must continuously remind myself to inform, in advance, that I want less rice! Nonetheless, for S$4.80, I think what I had was reasonable. I have had better ones but this stall takes precedence as it is so near my house! 

Or maybe I should give this a try.
Problem is; it's fried rice. =_=

=====

Address 
Block 732, Yishun Ring Road, 
TST Coffee Shop, Singapore 760732

Map 
As above.

Menu
As above. Don't understand the need for a menu when they are just going to cover it with items. p.s. quite prevalent. 

Pricing
Char Siew + Roast Duck Rice - S$4.80 

No comments:

Post a Comment