Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Cheng Tng from 88 Shan Ren Cold & Hot Dessert (88山人冷热甜品) @ Newton Hawker Centre [Singapore] #newtonhawkercentre

It wouldn't be wrong to say that cheng tng is my favourite dessert and I am ultra particular about this local hawker delicacy. Hence, when I read that the cheng tng at Newton Food Centre is well-known; I knew I had to give it a try despite already filling up my tummy with noodles and the
oyster omelette from Hup Kee.

Like many such dessert stalls in Singapore, you would be spoilt with choices if cheng tng isn't quite your cup of tea. Even within my family, the likes differ with red ruby being my mom's preferred dessert whereas my sister would usually go with ice kacang.  

This bowl of cheng tng cost S$2.50 would be considered pricey when it can cost as cheap as S$1.20 at some hawker centres, although the best at Bedok Corner Food Centre can cost upwards to about S$3.00.

Substantial amount of ingredients inside which include canned longan, canned lychee, two attap chees, tons of barley which were a bit hard. If only they include mung beans and winter melon. Taste wise, it wasn't overly sweet but I took issue with the flavour; like sugary syrup was added to the traditional broth to enhance the sweetness. To put it bluntly, I would be better off with Ice Dessert's Traditional Cheng Teng @ Old Airport Road Hawker Centre

=====

Address
500 Clemenceau Avenue North, Newton Circus, 
#01-05, Newton Food Centre, Singapore 229495 

Map 
As above. 

Pricing 
Cheng Tng - S$2.50

No comments:

Post a Comment