Friday, May 31, 2019

Charcoal Char Siew Wanton Noodle (碳烤黑叉烧) @ Bishan Kim San Leng Coffee Shop [Singapore]

There's only one reason for me to make my way to the kim san leng coffee shop near Bishan MRT station; a meal of Ming Ji Chicken Rice with their signature steamed chicken that's dipped in ice before serving! 

However, my often focused mind strayed this evening when i noticed strings of red stuff hanging from another stall in the same food centre. I stopped in my tracks and turned to step forward for a closer look. 

Strings of char siew and they looked darn appealing! It didn't help that the Chinese characters branded across was 碳烤黑叉烧; literally meaning the char siew was charcoal roasted until it had become a caramelised black. 

I chose to forgo my plan for chicken rice and ordered a plate of char siew wanton noodle instead! p.s. i still managed to grab some Ming Ji Chicken as i had dinner with my family and there was one whole chicken to be shared.

At S$5.00 a plate, it was pricier than your usual and while the amount of char siew was rather pathetic; at least the wanton appeared bigger (and meatier) than the norm. The first thing i did as to pop a slice of char siew into my mouth; tender and soft with just a thin layer of charr-ness. 

Flavourful but tasted a tad salty in my opinion; overall still pretty good although still not up to par compared to kay lee / you kee. I was in fact more impressed with the noodle drenched in a transparent sauce; tasted like the ones from Kok Kee at the former Lavender Square hawker centre

=====

Location 
Block 511, Bishan Street 13, 
Kim San Leng Food Centre, 
Singapore 570511

Menu
As above.



Pricing

Charcoal Char Siew Wanton Noodle - S$5.00 

2 comments:

  1. The meat portion is reduced by half after my second purchase and that’s it.
    No more....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your comment; guess i don't have to go back anymore.

      Delete