Sunday, July 15, 2018

Tiga Sushi - Japanese and A Bit of Thai Food @ Bangkok [Thailand]

Nowadays, I rely a lot on google map for assistance on where to go when I am overseas and that includes places of interest and dining options. In Hokkaido, the reviews on google map were largely reliable and needless to say, we had an amazing time!

Hence, in my last visit to Bangkok, I did the same thing and since we can't check in to the five star The Berkeley Hotel Pratunam; we thought we might as well have our lunch and this nearby sushi eatery by the name of Tiga Sushi caught my attention with a high review rating of 4.7 on google.

I did notice that there were only six reviews but reviewers appeared rather legit and since it's within walking distance of the hotel; we were happy to give it a try.

The insides didn't feel like our typical Japanese restaurant; instead, it could have passed off as one of the many cafes in Bangkok. I particularly love this tiger head carved out from the wall;  does tiga stand for tiger in Thai? Anyway, time to start our food!

Salmon Sashimi - okay tasting and definitely can't beat the freshness and thickness of the ones I had at Terminal 21's Tohkai Yakiniku & Sushi.

Spring Roll - with a total of five rolls, I actually thought this was expensive as each would work out to be almost 80 Singapore cents; for 20 cents more, I can secure a bigger one in the little red dot.

Thankfully, this was pretty good and even though it was light-tasting, dipping it in the chili sauce would do its job of increasing its palatability.

Fried Chicken - tasted exactly like those deep fried chicken you can find in makeshift stalls along Bangkok streets! Served piping hot, they were a delight to have!

Rainbow Fantasy Roll - I had managed my expectation, thanks to the picture on the menu, as nothing from the dish reflects the public perception of the basic seven colors of a rainbow.

Made up of a basic epi tempura sushi topped with tuna, salmon, ika, and avocado; they were warm which I thought were a bit strange for sushi even though the taste were generally acceptable to me. 

Bento Box 1 - as above and disappointing. Having eaten so much teriyaki chicken over the past few decades, the so-called teriyaki chicken in this bento wasn't the type I have been accustomed too. Tempura was nice with one major issue; the batter wasn't crispy enough and that's a big no-no.

=====

Overall, I don't feel that Tiga Sushi was worth the high rating of 4.7 but to be fair, I might have ordered other items on the menu that's not what the rest of the reviewers had requested for and reviewed on. 

Furthermore, I am totally turned off by the existence of flies. This isn't the worst I have encountered for sure; there was a stopover station in Malaysia where the entire place was swarmed with flies! 

Location
1087/143 ซอย เพชรบุรี 31 Phetchaburi Rd,
Khwaeng Makkasan, Khet Ratchathewi,
Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10400, Thailand

Map

As above.

Pricing
Salmon Sashimi - 99 baht
Spring Roll - 100 baht
Fried Chicken - 200 baht
Rainbow Fantasy Roll - 219 baht
Bento Box 1 - 219 baht


If you are interested in a 6-day itinerary in Bangkok, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment