Monday, January 14, 2019

Visit to Thipsamai (Pad Thai) in November 2018 - Trying Out the Icy Coconut Juice @ Bangkok [Thailand]

I cited Thipsamai as one of the main reasons for returning to Bangkok less than seven months after my last visit and frankly, i was deliberating if i should blog about it again since i already did so here.  

Well, i did try something new this time and i can't resist taking photos; hence, here it is again! I would try to keep it short and sweet this time and for my original review, do check out my posting here

Similar to my trip in April last year, i patronized Thipsamai twice and it's like still insufficient for us! You know what's my method to wean myself out of constantly craving for a dish (e.g. pad thai) in a specific eatery? I will eat until i get sick of it! 

The only one thing i can't stand at Thipsamai is the queue; on our first day, we were thankful for the heavy rain before we arrived as there were only two persons in front of us. The third day (our second visit) wasn't as lucky even though i didn't quite feel it as i spent some time taking photos of the Giant Swing while my travel mates waited in the queue!  

Despite visiting twice in April, i actually didn't know there are extra seats on the upper level. I remember seeing a staircase and thought it would lead to a storeroom or something. 

View of the ground floor from the second level. Note the Buddha statue right across; how did the operator clean the premises when there appeared to be no stairs or access? I roughly guess where the access would be. Have you spotted it?

Layout on second floor seemed to be tighter although the reduced number of allowable diners did make it seem more exclusive and less noisy than downstairs. 

There's even a television screen showcasing the restaurant, including its use of high quality charcoal made from mangroves that are more than 12 years old. Educational information that should have been propagated to a larger audience; i.e. like the customers waiting in queue.

Much had been said about the pad thai in Thipsamai in my initial post here and the Thai style fried noodles remained as delicious and as unforgettable in my recent visit. You know what's the key ingredient that sets it apart from others? Shrimp oil! 

The fresh, addictive yet expensive orange juice continued to be the favourite beverage for my travel mates but i think the sugar level was really a killer, even for a natural drink! 

Therefore, when i saw a customer on the next table drinking something from a cup and it came from the fridge as above; my intention was to give it a try! And for me to try something new without any review from others is quite rare.

Icy Coconut Juice @ 30 Baht a cup - in reality, this is ice-blended, undiluted coconut juice. Thirst quenching and not overly sweet, this was psychological 'healthier' than the orange juice! 

Done with our meal in no time! 

I am still missing the Thipsamai Pad Thai right now in Singapore and not knowing when i would be back in Bangkok means i need to satisfy my craving somewhat! Here's the pad thai set to the rescue! It doesn't cost cheap but i guess it would be worth a try. Shall update more in this blog on its taste soon! 

=====

For information on thipsamai (address, operating hours, pricing etc), click here


No comments:

Post a Comment