Monday, June 28, 2010

Han's @ Thomson Plaza

My first memorable cake came from Han's, then a bakery near the kampong i resided in Old Nee Soon.

The creamy black forest cake with its distinctive cherry infusion left a really deep impression in my childhood memory.

As i was growing up, Han's expanded with another branch in Yishun, then my family's new home in the concrete village that the gahmen was encouraging.

In my teens then, peer pressure entailed hanging out after school and Han's was a favourite hangout place amongst students for its economical set meals, air conditioning and cafe style format.

Fish and Chips was another dish arising from my teens that was unforgettable in my 30 year old memory.

And it was exactly with these fond memories that i visited a branch in Thomson Plaza, expecting no less from what i remember.

Disappointment greeted me when i had a bite of the fish and chips.

The exterior was too soft with a (too) thick layer of mushy batter while the fish meat should have been flavourful but came out tasteless.

This was the time when chilli sauce no longer served a complementary role but as an important condiment for me to finish the food.

A side order of custard cream puffs was thought to save the day (the black forest cake was sold out!).

With a thick layer of custard cream smacked in between, this was surprisingly yet another almost tasteless order.

Is there anything wrong with my taste buds?!

========

Prices
Cream Puff - S$2.00 for two
Fish and Chips - S$8.80 for a set.

No comments:

Post a Comment