The intention was to have McQuek's Satay Celup in Melaka for dinner but the queue was so insanely ridiculous; we made plans for nearby alternatives, that would offer a variety of food for our group of six persons, including two picky teenagers.
Nearest for us would be Newton Food Court, which was just diagonally across! Food courts in Singapore usually refer to coffeeshops, albeit in comfortable air-conditioned setting; a cool respite for those living in the tropics.
However, this was non-air-conditioned although it has a high ceiling for better ventilation, and fans to cool down the bodies. p.s. this is newton food court in Melaka, and not newton hawker centre in Singapore. Same name, yet different. Anyway, here's what we had!
Claypot Chicken Rice Special - Rice was mushy, parting ways from the usual claypot rice that I am more accustomed to. We opted for special which was a wrong choice as there were eggs, and canned mushrooms. Only the chicken meat seemed normal, and alright.
Cost - RM 12.00
Fried Oyster Omelette - this dish would be good for sharing but I wasn't the one ordering, and didn't realize they had a unique combo fried omelette that included, other than oysters, prawns and lala.
Priced at RM 12.00, this was more egg than oysters. A yes for an egg lover, and a no for someone who was looking forward to more oysters and the richness of oyster flavour.
Chicken and Pork Satay - for a satay lover, this would be one of the food items I would crave for on a pretty frequent basis! And if there's one meat that I find irresistible, it will have to be pork! Here at Newton food court, the satays were freshly skewered!
A mix of pork and chicken satay at only RM 1.30 each.
I have had my fair share of unsatisfying pork satay in Malaysia, and this was a nice surprise with layer of deliciously sinful fats in between each piece of pork, with a delicious charr! Chicken was okay yet paled in comparison to pork. Gravy was a tad too watery.
Ramly Beef Burger - long time ago, whenever I visited Malaysia, it's a must to order a ramly burger! The thought passed through my brain when I walked past the above burger stall, and it's time to rekindle the good, old childhood memory!
At RM 7.00, this was more your typical burger without the iconic taste of ramly, and it didn't help that there was no effort to lightly toast the burger bun for better satisfaction and texture. Disappointing max.
Butterfly Bun and Hum Chim Peng - given the unsatisfying burger, I went all out to look for extra carbohydrates to placate the angry tummy that couldn't stand wasting calories on unworthy food! So, back to the stall we encountered when we first entered newton food court.
Honestly, I don't blame you for thinking the above was youtiao, albeit a shorter version. It's actually a taller version of butterfly bun and while it tasted not bad; nothing quite matched up to the epic ones from Kim Soon at Kovan hawker centre!
Hum Chim Peng isn't something I would order in normal circumstances, and I don't crave for it. Ordered simply because ordering a butterfly bun seemed very little. Turned out to be better than expected with red bean paste that didn't taste overly processed and sweetened.
=====
Before and after.
Judge on the leftovers.
Address
277, Jln Parameswara,
75000 Melaka, Malaysia
Map
As above.




















No comments:
Post a Comment