Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Fei Zai Hokkien Mee (肥仔福建面) @ S11 Yishun 744 Kopitiam [Opposite Yishun MRT Station]

The distance between Yishun MRT station and my house was only about a five-minute walk but for the past few weeks, I had noticed a banner that's placed right outside the S11 coffee shop and I can't miss the Chinese characters "古早味", which means the traditional taste, on it. 

At my age, the traditional taste would sometimes evoke nice memories of my childhood and I gamely asked my parents to join me this evening to check out the supposedly 'traditional-tasting' Hokkien Mee! 

There's always a queue at the stall and tonight's no exception although I only waited about six minutes to get my two plates of noodles as the chef was already preparing a big wok for distribution when I joined the line. 

Compared to the mouthwatering picture on the banner, I was taken aback by how different the plate of Hokkien mee was in reality; it didn't have that visual draw and I thought it looked kind of dismal at $4 a plate with just two prawns and hardly any squid.

A generous sprinkling of crispy pork lard might help to increase its appeal and entice me to salivate a bit. The good thing is that there were quite a few pieces of pork belly but you kind of couldn't see them as they were relatively well hidden in the midst of thick bee hoon.

Taste wise - the stall made good on its claim for the traditional taste and each strand of noodle was coated with a thick gravy that was both rich and intense in flavor! I slurped up every delicious strand like a child totally immersed in enjoying the plate of Hokkien mee! Do eat the noodle as soon as you could as the gravy tends to dry up pretty fast! 

=====

Location 
Block 744 Yishun Street 72,
S11 Coffee Shop, Singapore 760744
(Opposite Yishun MRT Station)

Map

As above.

Pricing
Hokkien Mee - Minimal S$4 a plate

Other Stalls in the Same Coffeeshop



1 comment:

  1. For the hokkien, I request more 猪油炸, they make it more wholesome.

    ReplyDelete