Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Old Punggol Satay (舊榜鵝沙爹) - Super Sweet Pork Satay @ Alexandra Village Food Centre

I am not mature enough to know the origins of this old Punggol satay but in my honest opinion, the inclusion of "old" to any signboard often means there is a legitimate basis to its longevity in the cutthroat food industry.

The fifteen-minute wait for my ten sticks was excruciating for two reasons; my deep love for pork satay and that i was super duper hungry! It didn't help that the char siew stall i wanted to try was also closed for the day! :(

At fifty cents a stick, the amount of pork was significantly chunkier with thick layers of fats enveloped in that delightful smokiness! However, there was a big demerit point. 

I have always enjoyed satay with a saccharine flavour but these satays were seasoned with far too much sweetness, resulting in a sickening aftertaste that even a sweet-tooth person like myself could not accept. 

Most satay veterans place an equally important emphasis on the satay sauce. Despite the inclusion of zesty pineapple paste, this very mild peanut-based dip failed to thrill me.

=====

Location
Block 120, Bukit Merah Lane 1, 
#01-52 (Alexandra Village Hawker Centre)

Map
As above

Price
Pork Satay - S$0.50 a stick

No comments:

Post a Comment