Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Redevelopment of Singapore's Heritage Shophouses

Singapore's rapid rise in living standard and development has, in the course of time, seen the demolition of many historic buildings. Now, the word is on cultural preservation which is usually key to the tourism industry. 

Like some Singaporeans, i am curious whenever i see a building shrouded in safety nets and scaffolding - would it only be refurbished with minimal damage to its structure and internal design?

My chance to find out came when i found this slightly opened door to a shophouse in the middle of redevelopment. There was no keep out sign and as far as i am concerned, it is a public area where freedom to walk is guaranteed. 

I was taken aback by the sight that greeted me. The building was almost entirely demolished and exposed to the natural elements. I was actually expecting an empty shell.

Only the main facade (shop front) remained. I am not sure about you but in my case, i feel that the developer might as well destroy everything and construct the building from scratch.  

It's one thing to preserve a building; it's another to make it a half-baked effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment