Monday, January 04, 2016

Thai Wanton Noodles @ Foon's Thai Recipe in Old Airport Road Food Centre [Singapore]

My mind has never stopped thinking about the special wanton mee from Bangkok's Soi Petchburi 19 but it might still take a while before i return back to the Land of Smiles. 

In the meantime, quite a number of stalls serving Thai wanton noodles have started sprouting in our little red dot and it's a given that i would find myself ordering from them in time to come. 

First on the list was Foon's Thai Recipe in Old Airport Road food centre; my relentless craving for soursop juice recently has resulted in an almost weekly visit to the hawker centre. The above stall attracted my attention when i had the Waan Waan Thai Coconut Ice Cream which was just right opposite!  

At one glance, there didn't appear to be much difference from our local wanton mee. A second look would have brought your eyes to the chilli flakes, crushed peanuts and a small serving of white stuff on the side. I actually requested for no chilli for a better comparison to its Thailand counterpart and i was a bit unhappy to see the chilli flakes. 

Nevertheless, i didn't want to wait again and accept it without any complaint. White stuff was crab meat which required an extra top up of S$2; in my opinion, they were too dry for my liking and i would likely remove them from my order next time. 

Noodle texture was springy with a nice bite; a tad spicy for me. I couldn't quite discern the special sauce that was used for the noodles even though as far as taste is concerned, it was a notch tastier than normal local wanton noodles. Char siew were surprisingly good with the appetising fatty portion at an optimal thickness!

Wantons (dumplings) were placed in a soup bowl instead which was more the Singapore style; they were bigger than our local version although its taste didn't leave an exceptional impression on me. 

=====

Location
51 Old Airport Road #01-65, 
Old Airport Road Food Centre 

Map 
As above.

Operating Hours
9am to 9pm (Daily)
Close on Mondays.

Website

Pricing
Wanton Noodles (Dry) - Minimal S$4.00
Add Crab - S$2.00

No comments:

Post a Comment