Friday, July 27, 2007

White Rabbit Creamy Candies (大白兔奶糖)

How many of the kids from 80's and before remember this widely popular sweets? I remembered how i loved to pop piece after piece of this delicious creamy candy into my mouth. Hahhaa.

I remembered it used to come in a large bag and kids like me then will snatch with cousins and even aunties and uncles! We will quickly unwrap the candy and eat it, chewing on it, awaiting for the sweet taste and the aroma to spread and dissolve in our oral cavity!!

But as we grow older and older, the popularity of this candy is overtaken by the so many choices that we have now! My memory got rekindled when it was involved in a food recall! My gosh, beside dog and cat food, even an animal-branded candy is not excused!

It was claimed by the Philippine Food and Drugs authority that it contains formalin, an ingredient used to embalm corpses! Luckily it has been cleared by our dear Singapore AVA, which HAS to be highly credible right?

And luck will have it that i saw the candy again in National Museum Shop! They are currently selling things from the past and i really feel old looking at those toys and games that we used to play. They even have a book on it!!

Sighz...... Back to the candy, beside the plain creamy, milky taste flavour that Big Rabbit brand used to have, they have introduced flavours like Chocolate, Red Bean, Yogurt and Strawberry!

I am very very TEMPTED and even though it was selling at 6 bags for $4.80, and each bag has around 6 sweets, i grabbed it! Yes, i paid for it as well. The sales assistant even kindly informed me it was cleared by AVA even before i asked about it! I guess sales must be badly affected. Hahaha. But like wat my colleagues say, formalin SHOULD be able to help preserve youth!

I tasted all the new flavours except for chocolate but i heard it was not bad. I especially liked the strawberry and yogurt flavour! The strawberry becoz contrary to most strawberry candies nowadays, the Big Rabbit brand was not too sweet and the taste was really mixed well!

My only reservation was the Red Bean Flavour (give me Red Bean ice cream anytime) and the Big Rabbit Brand candies seem to be harder than before!! I used to be able to chew thru it, now i had to wait for a while for dissolution to occurs before i can sink my old teeth into it~!

I just surfed the website and realised that beside the 5 flavours available in Singapore, there are flavours like coffee, toffee, peanut, coconut, lychee, mango, butter plum and fruit have been introduced!!!

Gosh!!! When will they be coming in!?!?!?!?!?!?!


2 comments:

  1. I want to try this candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. give me your address! let me see if i could courier it to you! :)

      Delete