Wednesday, January 08, 2020

Traditional Hong Kong Desserts @ Yuen Kee Dessert (源記甜品專家) in Hong Kong #yuenkeedessert

Our dinner at Kwan Kee was memorable and I desperately needed desserts to round off the meal; hence, I searched on Goggle Map for a place near to the claypot rice eatery. 

Voila; there's a Yuen Kee Dessert just 130 meters away and I happily made my way over despite not knowing what to expect since it definitely wouldn't be serving our local Singaporean favorites like ice kacang, cendol, etc. 

Like many dining establishments in Hong Kong, the shop was narrow with limited seating. Bigger groups of four would find it hard to find a table to accommodate everyone; i am glad there was only Alex and I.

It took me a while to look through the simplified one-page Chinese menu as I don't quite know what some of the terms were and it's confusing to read from top to bottom instead of the usual left-right / right-left.

Black Sesame Paste - Alex's choice which isn't something I would typically order. Surprisingly, it's not as thick and gooey as the ones we have in Singapore and its sweetness was just right to result in a warm and comfortable sensation for the stomach.

Mulberry Lotus Seeds Egg Tea - one of my favourite Singapore desserts is cheng tng and this one at Yuen Kee was chosen given its similarity! 

OMG - this was amazing! The taste was relatively similar to cheng tng with a tea tinge to it. I am particular when it comes to lotus seeds in cheng tng as most stalls failed to make them soft and non-bitter. Yuen Kee's version met my expectation without tasting bitter and mashed up immediately with just a light bite.

One whole hard boiled egg in the soup! What does this remind me of? The sweet dessert that my mom would make on the first day of lunar new year as she would always add a hard-boiled egg in every bowl. 

Key difference is that my mom uses eggs boiled in plain water whereas Yuen Kee's one tasted just like the tea leaves eggs (you can get them from some Chinese medicinal halls or pasar malams) and they were the kind that would entice you to have more than one! 

Cleaned up the bowl in no time; I regretted not ordering the double-egg option. As lunar new year is coming, maybe I should ask my mom to use tea leaves eggs instead for her sweet soup! 

=====

Address
32 Centre St, Sai Wan, 
Hong Kong

Map

As above.

Operating Hours
Mondays to Sundays - 1.00 pm to 11.00 pm

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Black Sesame Paste - HKD $27
Mulberry Lotus Seeds Egg Tea - HKD $39

For the summary of my seven days' itinerary to Hong Kong (with a day trip to Shenzhen), please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment