Monday, July 29, 2013

Black Fried Carrot Cake @ Xin Ji [鑫記菜頭粿] - 22 Lorong 7 Toa Payoh Kim Keat Palm Food Centre

Again and again, i was left utterly disappointed with my recent selection of carrot cake stalls; none so far has managed to match the epic one i had near my block, which sadly pulled down the shutters after a rental spike. 

But, the seeking continues! That hungrygowhere app on my phone was frequently utilised in the search for nearby good eats and it brought me to block 22 lorong 7 toa payoh yesterday! 

Manned by an elderly couple, i was suspecting this would not be the sweet, caramelised black carrot cake diced up into hundreds of tiny crunchy pieces that i always prefer. 

I was right in my suspicion! More often than not, you would see me writing how much i hate this, why did i even choose this, blame the hungrygowhere reviewer who recommended this etc etc. 

Weirdly, that's not the case; the meal was a nostalgic journey back to my childhood. A simple plate of fuss free carrot cake that downplayed sweet sauce and retained the traditional flavour well loved by the older generation! 

Not my 'type' still, although i have to give it some credit for the nice recollection of childhood memory.

=====

Location
Blk 22 Lorong 7 Toa Payoh #01-60,
Kim Keat Palm Market & Food Centre

Map
As above.

Price
S$3 a plate

No comments:

Post a Comment