Friday, September 18, 2026

Jok Ruam Jai near Montraj Continent Hotel @ Asoke in Bangkok [Thailand]

I was too lazy to travel for breakfast and decided to check out Jok Ruam Jai, which was less than 200 meters from our accommodation this time; the Montraj Continent Hotel. 

A local eatery with a pretty decent review score of 4.1 from over 500 reviewers, I admit that the name caught my attention as I am aware that jok means porridge, and I was indeed craving for some porridge right here at in the capital of Thailand! 

For such a small eatery, the menu was quite exhaustive, including a section that concentrated on a format similar to Singapore's economical rice stalls, where you have a wider selection of dishes to pick and choose for your plate. 

Congee Pork - I am no stranger to porridge in Bangkok and have tried Joke Sam Yan and Jok Prince; hence, I am well accustomed to their signature gluey texture. 

Sadly, this was too plain for my liking and would likely be more suitable for a person who is unwell or just have weak constitution. I thought the pork balls might be the saving grace but it was laden with the taste of organs, which I can't stand... 
 
Egg Noodle Fish Ball - thankfully, mine was the noodle since the porridge was for Alex. Plating left much to desire though as I can so imagine the chef nonchalantly throwing the fish balls and fish cakes onto the pile of untidy noodles. 

The base of the noodles was actually a bed of vegetables! Nevertheless, let's kickstart with the fish balls and fish cakes; firm texture with a nice, non-fishy flavour. Egg noodles were lightly tossed with garlic oil; a bit bland with an alkaline aftertaste. 

=====

I might have cleaned out the noodles but to be honest, it wasn't a satisfying meal. Maybe I had ordered the wrong thing? Well, the jok is supposed to be the "best choice" according to the menu. 

Maybe we should gone with the "economical rice".

Address
7, 7/4 Soi Sukhumvit 23, Khlong Toei Nuea, 
Watthana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand

Map
As above.

Pricing
Congee Pork - 60 Baht
Egg Noodle Fish Ball - 80 Baht

No comments:

Post a Comment