Ever since I got acquainted with crab curry from Somboon Seafood Restaurant back in 2024, I had been going back to the same restaurant, albeit different branches, on every visit!
Knowing myself, I would likely stick with the same restaurant for a long, long time but I was rushing for time on my recent trip and recall watching a reel on Savoey; which also served crab curry, and happened to have a branch at Terminal 21 Asok Shopping Mall, near my accommodation.
Craving had stuck in my brain and I earnestly stepped into the restaurant at only noon time. Crowd was surprisingly thin on a Friday lunch but those who knew Terminal 21 @ Asok should be aware there were plenty of eateries and an economically priced food court just one floor above.
As we were already pretty full from breakfast in Chinatown (toast and tea from Tee Yok, cathay fish maw and desserts at old daisy cafe), we ordered sparingly. So little that I questioned if I should have ordered more.
Stir Fried Thai Vegetable - now, this is a kind of vegetables I don't see in Singapore and just like my affection for Taiwan's guomao vegetables, this plate of Malindjo vegetables tugs my heartstring and entices me to order whenever I see it on the menu.
Sadly, while the texture was just right, the vegetables here at Savoey had a bitter aftertaste that was kind of off-putting, even though the Chinese believes bitter equates healthy. Furthermore, I think the chef was too liberal with the hae bee (dried shrimps); they were much bigger than expected, and could have been a main source of protein!
Crab Curry - now the main star, and it's a sin not to have a plate of white rice to go with it! Screw the calories intake, especially when I only eat crab curry only when I visit Bangkok!
Plated similarly like the ones at Somboon, I did notice more chunks of crab meat peeking from the surface of the curry, and that the color seemed a redder, which could mean a spicier kick.
Took a scoop, mixed with the rice and threw into the mouth. *fireworks* Savoey version was even better; more aromatic, creamier and the spices were more pronounced (thankfully, not that spicy) as the mixture swirled around my taste buds, and ever bite was a chockablock full of delicious seafoodness!
I can't imagine I clean up everything, with a bit of help from Alex.
No wonder I gained two kilograms after this trip. :(
=====
Address
5th floor, Terminal 21 Asok Shopping Mall,
88 Soi Sukhumvit19, Khwaeng Khlong Toei Nuea,
Khet Watthana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand
Map
As above.
Website
Stir Fried Thai Vegetable - 200 Baht
Crab Curry - 600 Baht
(Subject to Tax and Service Charge)










No comments:
Post a Comment