Pages

▼

Sunday, September 27, 2026

Ongtong Khaosoi - Northern Thai Noodle Dish, with Chicken @ Parkside Market on LG of Central Park Bangkok in Thailand #michelin

Have you heard of a food court at Central Park Bangkok that houses 17 Michelin-recognized or Bib Gourmand-awarded food stalls? That's a major convenience for foodies even though the recognition / award was more for the original outlet.

Nevertheless, I am happy to try the stalls and one of the Thai dishes that I have heard that was incredibly good yet resisted for the longest time ever was Khao Soi, a curry noodle originating from Northern Thailand. 

While no longer recognized by Michelin, it's still a feat for Ongtong Khaosoi to be awarded from 2019 until 2022. And for those who have tried enough Michelin-awarded/ recognized eateries, we all know it's sometimes a hit or miss. 

Only one tummy and despite the ten different items on the menu, I am fixated on just the original; Khao Soi with chicken! So why did I resist trying this dish? Singapore has a lot of famous curry noodle stalls, which I wasn't impressed with, and I really didn't want to waste my calories on something I am not exactly keen on. 

Khaosoi with Chicken - collected in about five minutes (waited for the pager to ring) with a serving of what appeared to be salted / preserved vegetables, onions and lime.

Now the star! What propelled me to try were Thai influencers who was ranking Thai food and I noticed that khao soi appeared regularly on the top tier. Was it really that good? To the extent that my favorite pad thai was only rated B or even C? 

Noodles were similar to our mee pok in Singapore, albeit thicker and made from eggs. For a mee pok lover, these were well loved, and I was enjoying every slurp down my throat. Those crispy toppings, which I assumed were like deep fried beancurd skin, were actually the same egg noodles, deep fried! 

Compared to the noodles, I was totally blown away by the gravy! Trust me, this was nothing like the curry noodles and laksa in Singapore! An assuming sip gave way to a punch of spiciness before spreading into an aromatic curry sweetness that was strangely addictively and absolutely perfect for the noodles! 

A "coconut curry made with spices like turmeric, ginger, garlic, and dried chilies", this was actually lighter in texture yet the flavor was unmatched. If not for the fact that I had another dish to conquer, I would have drunk up all the gravy! And maybe even ask for extra serving of noodles! 

=====

Now that I am so impressed with khao soi, let's have a list of khao soi eateries to check out in my next visit to Bangkok! Damn, I have more and more things that I am planning to eat at the capital city and I guess my typical 7-day visit would no longer be sufficient. 

Address
946 Rama IV Rd, Parkside Market,
Lower Ground of Central Park Bangkok
Si Lom, Bang Rak, Bangkok 10500, Thailand

Pricing
Khaosoi with Chicken - 119 Baht

No comments:

Post a Comment