Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Term of My Heart Condition - Supraventricular Tachycardia

Image taken from http://joshuatwe.blogspot.sg/2013/01/take-look-at-me-now.html
While watching the hilarious Ah Boys to Men two-part film, i could not help but think back of my days in the national service (Singapore's mandatory conscription for all men). Not the tough training in the movie though as i was placed in a non-combat vocation. 

Please don't get me wrong; i totally enjoyed performing my national duty and took great pride in my service work. In case you are unaware, i was a dental orderly attached to the air force (yes, there are indeed dental clinics in the armed forces)! 

My hyperactivity was well known among my polytechnic friends and some expressed surprise i was not given the healthier Pes A or B. Pes E was my actual medical status; a result of a pre-exisiting heart condition.

Image taken from http://www.straightuplove.com/love-at-first-sight/
Many people have asked me what was the exact medical problem i had; and many a time, my memory drew a blank. I know it has the word "tachycardia" but this was too vague. Tachycardia, in the medical dictionary, only means fast heartbeat which could be easily ignited when you have your "love at first sight" moment.

Image taken from http://hqmeded-ecg.blogspot.sg/2012/03/wide-complex-tachycardia-after.html
Today, i had my pre-employment medical checkup and since she is the professional, i probed the doctor further on the condition. A doubt has finally been clarified!!! That term is Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT)! 

To read more (especially if you love the technical aspect of things), check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supraventricular_tachycardia.

My work is starting on April Fools' Day and i would not be able to gallivant as much as i would love to after that. With this entry in mind, i shall share, in the near future, some of the funny moments i had before my heart operation.

Do look out for them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment