Sunday, December 18, 2011

Wanton Noodles (旺角熟食) @ Hougang 105 Hawker Centre (Lorong Ah Soo)

In normal circumstances, a hungry man will satisfy his hunger as soon as possible with whatever edible resources that is still available. I am different as i was hungry yet i could not resist checking out the food at this hawker centre located at Lorong Ah Soo.

I circled the area twice before i finally decided on this stall - directly translated as Mong Kok Cooked Food. Frankly, lor mee is the must-try dish in this hawker centre but i have never been fascinated with a bowl of noodles filled with a thick layer of gravy.

My choice has a psychological basis; such "sold out" tags give me the impression that the food should be generally not bad. I am not so easily satisfied though - i also did notice a constant flow of customers.

The wait to have this plate of wanton noodles took me twenty minutes and in case you think that the lady had forgotten my order, i was seated right in front of the stall!! And the hawker centre was not even packed!

Guess what is the first thing that goes into my mouth?

Char siew, which was quite okay except that they were too lean for my liking. Having said that, health conscious individuals might embrace them with more love than the fatty char siew from Kay Lee.

The noodles are noticeably better. It might be plain without much condiment but the texture was most impressive; soft yet springy. I would gladly eat the noodles alone without the vegetable or the char siew.

Wanton wise; hm....... nothing to complain and at the same time, nothing to praise as well.

Given it was my first meal of the day at 1.30pm; i practically polished off everything on the plate, save for the green chilli.

=====

Location
Block 105, Hougang Avenue 1, #02-43,
Blk 105 Market (Hainanese Village Centre)

Price
Wanton Noodles - S$2.50